Melanie Schwartz

Email instagram Facebook LinkedIn Twitter Donate via PayPal

2013 Blog

Hard Work Pays Off – Dec 15 2013

Photo of me racing at Copper Mountain It is going to be a great season! I've worked hard and I think it is starting to pay off. I skied well in the first races of the (Northern Hemisphere) season at Panorama and Copper.

I attended the Panorama races with the Aspen team. We spent 4 days driving for 3 days of racing. I skied a grand total of 12 runs in Panorama. While there, I had trouble finishing my races. Despite the many hours spent in the car and only finishing one race, I skied well and enjoyed the experience. I did not finish the GS race on the first day. But after a successful first run (I was in third place), I gained confidence in my ability to ski well for the next couple days. The second day I had an equipment issue which resulted in being unable to finish either the super-combined race or the first Super-G race. By the last day I was determined to finally finish a race. As a result, I skied conservatively, which is not as fast. However, I skied well in some sections of the course and achieved my goal of finishing the race. Despite a long drive and difficulty crossing the finish line, I was pleased with everything that happened at Panorama because I skied well. I am more concerned with how I ski than the results.

About a week after the Panorama races, I went to Copper for a very competitive Nor Am race. There were over 100 athletes at the race including the national teams from the USA, Canada, Japan, Russia and athletes from Great Britain, Australia and more. We started with two Super-G races. I skied OK, but not great in these initial races. Next we had two GS races and I skied a bit better and earned a bronze medal. The fifth day was a slalom race. I fell in the first race but still finished. I didn't get a result due to my fall, but I skied well and was happy with that. The final day was another slalom race. It was my best skiing of the week and resulted in a silver medal.

Skiing well at the Panorama and Copper races foreshadows an exciting and successful 2014 season. My standards for my skiing are now higher than they were just a couple months ago and I hope to continue improving.

^ Top

2013-2014 Season Begins – November 16, 2013

Photo of Copper Mountain It is official. Ski season has hit the Northern hemisphere. We just finished our first training camp at Copper Mountain in Colorado. It was an amazing camp. We had perfect snow and weather conditions every single day. I had lots of time on snow this camp. Each day we had a couple hours of lane space for gate training as well as a couple hours of free-skiing.

We did a number of drills and plenty of directed free skiing. These are usually only done at the beginning of the season. There was an emphasis on drills and basics at the Mt Hood camp but we did not have time for these things in Australia and New Zealand because the emphasis was on racing. And although it was technically the third camp of the season it was nice to work on skiing basics as well as intense gate training sessions to prepare us for upcoming races.

It was the first time in months that it actually felt like winter. On the final day of the camp Copper received 5 inches of fresh snow. We had a great day of GS training, despite the cold and the necessity of doing numerous slip runs to smooth out the track. We ended up with a great course and ended the camp on a positive note.

My skiing made progress this camp. I've learned some new things and had opportunities to work on techniques that I am trying to perfect. I am happy with the success I had this camp and I know that my skiing will continue to improve as I master these new skills.

In addition to skiing in the Northern Hemisphere winter, moving back to Aspen signals the start of the season. I've officially moved into the Aspen apartment that I will call home for the next six months. I almost managed to cram all my stuff into my tiny bedroom. Everything that doesn't fit in my bedroom is happily living in the communal hallway shelves.

I will be heading to Panorama for a race in a few days and I feel ready for the challenge! I can't wait to see if my hard work at the Copper camp and the sweat I left at the gym will pay off on race day.

^ Top

Calm Before the Storm – October 18, 2013

Photo of Melanie and Friend at the OTC After traveling a fair bit for a couple months of chasing snowy mountains (in Oregon, New Zealand and Australia), it is nice to be back in my summer routine. I am back in Colorado Springs and training at the Olympic Training Center.

It is great to have nine solid weeks in the gym. This is the first time since June that I've been in town long enough to complete all four weeks of a phase in our dryland training program. I lost a fair bit of strength while I was in the Southern Hemisphere. It was disappointing to get back in the gym and feel like I was starting from scratch. Luckily, it didn't take too long to regain the strength I'd lost and now I feel stronger than ever. I am working hard and preparing myself physically and mentally for the upcoming season.

Yesterday I awoke to snow-covered ground. Winter is coming and I can't wait to get back on skis. As my time in Colorado Springs wraps up, I reflect on the amazing summer I've had here. It was an incredible experience. I learned a lot at the Olympic Training Center and I genuinely enjoyed working with the staff there. I will miss the friends and the life I have here in the Springs. One of the toughest parts of being a transient athlete is that as soon as I develop a life and a social network, it is time to move again. I am grateful that wherever I go, my friends are there for me, even though I can only be a part-time friend.

This season is going to be a busy and important one. Not only is it a Paralympic year, but there are more World Cup races scheduled this season than usual. I know that once the snow flies, the time will fly too. There will be plenty of skiing, traveling and racing. I am enjoying the calm before the upcoming storm. I expect it to be the type of storm that people sit on their porches and watch in amazement as it gains strength and speed and ends with a bang. I'm not sure if others will remember the storm or not, but I will! Whatever the outcome, it will be a memorable journey.

^ Top

Down Under Part 2: Australia – September 10, 2013

Photo of SL podium at Thredbo Usually there aren't many opportunities to be a tourist on a ski trip. But we were lucky enough to have a few days in Sydney to explore the city. I saw some Australian friends that I hadn't seen in years and they were nice enough to show me some of the sites. I saw the Zoo, the Sydney Opera House, incredible harbours, beaches with surfers and much more. I rode the subway, ate dinner on the beach, and roamed downtown. Sydney is a great city with a plenty of beautiful waterfront. I did not pack appropriately for the summery weather in Sydney (as well as many of the other towns we visited on this trip).

While in Australia, we spent most of our time in a town called Jindabyne. The small towns and countryside were very different from the metropolis of Sydney. I was shocked to discover that there are kangaroos everywhere. Live ones hoping around the Sport & Rec Centre campus where we stayed, and dead ones lining the roads. Apparently Australians don't clean up roadkill, they just leave it on the shoulder. In addition to kangaroos I saw wombats, emus and some unique birds including kookaburras and parrots. There were also gum trees everywhere and I finally understand the kids' song about the Kookaberra sitting in the old gum tree. The Jindabyne Sport & Rec Centre was a great place to stay because they had good facilities and a community atmosphere since athletes from all the countries stayed there.

Thredbo, the location of our Australian races, was nearly as warm as Sydney and the snow was melting quickly. In order to race on the best possible snow, we started our days as early as possible. We left Jindabyne at 5am and reached Thredbo before the sun rose. Once the lift opened at 6:15 it we kept lapping until the race was over. As a result, I was finished my races each day before the lifts opened to the public at 8:30. It was definitely a record for the earliest race I've ever done. It felt strange to see the public on snow at the “end” of our day. Although it was tough to wake up so early, I really liked the schedule. It was very beneficial for the snow conditions and I liked the lack of spare time. If I have too much time on race day I tend to over-think things.

I did not ski as fast as I would've liked in my races. I had a couple decent runs, but I had trouble getting two in the same day. I finished fourth in both GS races and a earned a bronze medal in slalom. Despite everyone's best efforts to maintain the snow, our last race was cancelled because too much snow had melted overnight. It was a little disappointing, but these things happen in a sport that is weather dependent.

I had a great time in Australia. It was interesting to see the contrast between the urban and rural parts of the country. Sydney is a world class city, and I must admit that I didn't know much about it before I arrived. Jindabyne, Thredbo, and the wildlife in that area were unlike anywhere I've ever been before. My time down under is officially finished and has been replaced by jet lag.

^ Top

Down Under Part 1: New Zealand – August 28, 2013

Photo of myself and Heather Mills on the podium On August 13th I embarked on a journey to the Southern Hemisphere. We landed in New Zealand on August 15th. Despite poor training to start the trip, good racing and a great country left me with wonderful memories of my time in New Zealand.

Our first week was supposed to be an opportunity to train before the races began but mother nature didn't cooperate. Our first day on snow was at Mt Hutt, only the small beginner chairlift was running and the fog was so thick that the snow and the sky both looked grey. Since there weren't any trees, the only way to read the hill was to use other skiers as reference points. It was tricky and the rain didn't help. I was constantly wiping my goggles and I accidentally scratched my lenses which made it even harder to see. The following day we couldn't ski due to poor visibility and we didn't bother making the treacherous drive up to the mountain. The next day we drove across the South Island to Coronet Peak, the site of our first races. After many hours cooped up in the vans of the team caravan, we did some free-skiing in tough slushy conditions. The following two days we were able to finally get some training at Coronet Peak.

While we trained at Coronet Peak, the able-bodied skiers were racing there. They dealt with rough conditions and a thin layer of soft snow and by afternoon they were skiing on grass. It did not look promising for our races. Somehow we got lucky and the weather got colder just in time for our two slalom races. Despite the improved conditions many athletes had trouble finishing those races. I managed to finish and was rewarded with gold and bronze medals. Heather Mills (known for her former marriage to Sir Paul McCartney) won the silver to my gold. As a result, our podium picture was splashed across British newspapers.

After the Coronet Peak races, we drove back to Mt Hutt for Super-Combined and Super-G races. Luckily we had good weather since Mt Hutt is often plagued with fog, wind and chairlift issues. The surface was so solid that they decided that the men should race before the women. In the first race I skied too conservatively and had a slow time as a result and placed 6th. In the second race, I traded my conservative skiing for aggressive skiing, but unfortunately I did not finish.

In addition to the skiing, we had some glimpses of New Zealand as a country. While skiing at Mt Hutt we stayed in a ski town called Methven which is the first ski town I've ever seen with palm trees. We also spent some time in Queenstown which seems like the Whistler of that part of the world. People from all corners of the globe, including lots of Americans, travel and work there. It is a mecca for adventure tourism (bungy jumping, sky diving, mountain biking etc.) as well as skiing and snowboarding. We had a quick visit to Wanaka which is a small down-to-earth town on the shore of lake Wanaka. The most shocking place we visited was Christchurch. The devastation from the 2011 earthquake is incredible. The entire downtown area is abandoned with condemned buildings and streets that are completely closed. Walking down the vacant streets it is clear that it was once a vibrant downtown. It was tough to find somewhere to eat dinner because nothing had been open in over two years.

My two weeks in New Zealand were very memorable. Although we only saw the South Island, I can confirm the rumours that New Zealand is a truly beautiful country. The locals showed us incredible hospitality and were some of the nicest people I've ever met. On the racing side, I took advantage of good conditions and won two medals in four races.

^ Top

Summer Skiing - July 15, 2013

Photo of myself and Danelle at Mt Hood I am currently in Oregon at a training camp at Mt Hood. After one week, I can confidently say that it has been an amazing camp so far and I am excited for the remaining ten days.

We've had incredible training with ideal snow and weather conditions, a great lane and plenty of runs. is a great place to start a season because the terrain is mild and consistent. We've done plenty of drills. I'm learning more about my skiing and how to manage my warm up runs to maximize the benefits of training.

Hood is a really cool place to be in July because we have the best of both summer and winter. We have great ski conditions in the mornings (before the sun melts it into slush) and we can also take advantage of everything summer has to offer. I've gone on hikes, bike rides, picked wild berries, swam in the river and spent lots of time on the balcony. I'm never cold while skiing and I wear tank tops, shorts and sandals in the afternoons.

This week has also been great for team bonding. There are a couple athletes who've recently moved up from the development team to the national team. It is great to spend more time with the newer athletes. They are great skiers and fit nicely into the team dynamic.

After this camp, my next trip will be for the World Cup races in Australia and New Zealand. These races in the Southern Hemisphere make a drastic impact on the season. Normally, our first races of the season are in December. But this year we are racing in August. I have ten days left to get my skiing ready for International competition and I'm ready for the challenge!

^ Top

On the River - May 28, 2013

Photo of one of our campsites from the raft trip I recently tried white water rafting for the first time. For five days I escaped every-day life and floated down a river, stopping at a new campsite every night. Although skiing is a huge part of my life, sometimes it is nice to take a break from skiing and do something completely different.

I felt immersed in nature, instead of simply admiring it from the top of a mountain. We were in a section of Yampa and Green rivers that are in a huge canyon. Every day included breathtaking views from both the river and campsites. I went on numerous hikes to explore the natural habitat which was virtually unaltered by human civilization. I climbed to the top of cliffs, sunk my feet in the sand, examined interesting rocks, saw plenty of wildlife, and tried paddle-boarding. I even insisted on stopping and taking a picture when we crossed the Colorado/Utah state line.

Without electricity, there were no concerns about the outside world. For those five days everything was focused on upcoming rapids, setting up camp, making campfires and cooking meals. I didn't wear a watch and never knew the time and it didn't matter. The only times that mattered were sunrise, sundown and mid-day when the wind started. Even the lack of bathrooms and running water wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.

Some members of the group were teammates and coaches. But there was nothing competitive or ski-related about the trip. We saw very few people aside from our group. There were two other groups that we saw occasionally. Thankfully, those groups were able to help us when we needed it most. They ran the biggest rapid before we did, so we could see how it would run and helped patch a massive hole in one of our rafts.

The raft trip was an incredible experience and I am grateful I had that opportunity. But after five days I was also thrilled to go home to my shower. It was a refreshing change to spend my days outdoors paddling and hiking instead of endless gym sessions. The trip left me re-energized and eager to throw myself into my summer training.

^ Top

The Season Begins in Colorado Springs - May 19, 2013

Photo of me in front of Sochi mural at OTC The 2013-2014 season starts now. And it starts here at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. The upcoming season is a big one and I'm going to be ready.

I've officially moved to Colorado Springs for the summer. The more I move around, the more I feel as though I truly live out of my suitcase. I've now lived in five different cities since I started ski racing six years ago. I am excited to explore a new city, and I've already found some of the perks of living here. For starters, it almost never rains and when rain does fall, it never lasts more than ten minutes. The lack of rain is a huge bonus since my main source of transportation is bike. Speaking of biking, I've only begun to discover all the biking trails nearby. Luckily, all the streets are a grid, so it is easy to find my way around.

I am living in Colorado Springs so I can train at the Olympic Training Center (OTC). Olympic Training Centres are elite training facilities for high-performance American athletes. There are three OTCs spread across the US. The other two are in Chula Vista and Lake Placid. Each location tends to specialize in certain sports. Colorado Springs, for example, has lots of wrestlers, swimmers, and triathletes as well as para-alpine skiers. I'd never been to any of the OTCs before I moved to Colorado Springs.

The season kicked off with a team training camp at the OTC. I moved here just a few days before the camp started. During the camp we used the pool, and dorms as well as the gym. We also went for bike rides and had numerous classroom sessions about everything from nutrition to sport psychology. It was the first time I saw my teammates in an environment without skiing. It was a great way to start an important season.

The team OTC camp was my first taste of what summer will bring. It was just a sampling of the workouts and bike rides that will continue into the fall. This summer I will work harder, and be stronger than any previous year. It is the first time that I've been a full-time athlete in the summer. Usually I work full-time in the summers and squeeze workouts into busy evenings.

I've had a great introduction to Colorado Springs and the OTC through the team training camp. I look forward to the rest of the summer and getting prepared for the upcoming season.

^ Top

Next Generation - May 11, 2013

This past week I had the opportunity to speak to four groups of children from three different elementary schools. I showed them my prosthetic leg and talked about para-alpine skiing and the Paralympics. I brought some of my old legs for the kids to pass around. I also showed them how my outriggers work and some ski pictures and video. It was nice to have an influence on the next generation and expose them to new things.

I have done some speaking in the past, but not as much as I would've liked. Usually, I cannot go to schools because I am working on workdays. Having time to speak is definitely a benefit of being a full-time athlete. The kids were very enthusiastic and had plenty of questions. I hope they learned something from the experience.

Here are some of the memorable/common questions and my answers:

Q: What is the worst disability to have?
A: A bad attitude.

Q: How do you put your pants on?
A: The same way as you do! One leg and then the other.

Q: Do you wish that you were born with two legs?
A: Absolutely not! The idea of having two legs seems a bit weird to me. I know who I am. But if I'd been born with two legs, I would be a different person. I would've had a totally different set of opportunities available to me.

Q: Did you get bullied in school?
A: No. My classmates knew about my leg and treated me the same as everyone else.

Q: Can I touch your leg?
A: Sure, thanks for asking first.

It was interesting to see how different kids reacted to my leg. The kids who had previous exposure to disabilities thought it was cool. Some of the children who had never met anyone with a disability initially thought my leg was weird or scary. Once I showed them how my leg works and all the things I can do, it wasn't scary anymore. I hope that the next time these kids see a prosthetic their first reaction will be “Cool!”.

Thank you to all the teachers and students who welcomed me into their schools. Maybe some of the kids will become Olympic or Paralympic athletes when they grow up!

^ Top

Free Time - April 25, 2013

Photo of everyone at the top of the Highland bowl Now that my racing is finished for the season, I've had time to have fun on skis. I had a blast and it was a refreshing change. Even though I love training, it was nice to take a break and ski a variety of terrain. Most years, I have to fly home to Toronto after my last races. And there isn't any snow or skiing on Toronto. This was the first time that I've had a chance to free-ski after my last races of the season. So I truly appreciated the opportunity to explore hidden parts of the mountain.

I skied on powder days, moguls, jumps, groomers, treed runs and plenty more. While I did some free-skiing earlier in the season as well, it is different knowing that I don't have any upcoming races. There is a sense of having no pressure to perform. The focus was on doing what I wanted and having fun. Usually I like to be on the lift as soon as it opens. But the past few weeks, I discovered that I can sleep in and still have a great day on the slopes.

At Aspen Highlands, there is a bowl that is great to ski, but the only way to get there is to hike. All season I've been wanting to do the hike, but the timing was never right. Finally, on the last weekend of the season, I had a chance to do hike the Highlands bowl. I hiked with a group of people that included two other disabled athletes from my team and a few of our coaches. It took over an hour, but it wasn't nearly as tough as I thought it might be. I took my time and enjoyed the camaraderie along the way. It was a great experience. Unfortunately we were in the middle of a cloud most of the time so we could not see the view and skiing down was a bit tricky at times. I can't wait to do the hike again on a sunny day so I can see the incredible views. Maybe next time I will aim for under an hour.

Although I had a lot of fun being a ski bum for the past few weeks, I can't wait to start training on snow again. Skiing is finished for the season and I've had an amazing break from training. Now is the time of year to hit the gym and start preparing for next season.

^ Top

Double Nationals - April 2, 2013

Photo of me racing slalom in Park City The last couple of weeks were busy with travelling and racing. First, I was in Park City for US Nationals. After US Nationals I was only home long enough to unpack, ski for a day and repack for Canadian Nationals in Sun Peaks, BC. There were a lot of similarities between the races north and south of the border.

My results were similar in both races. I earned bronze medals in all three slalom races. There was one slalom in Park City and two at Sun Peaks. I placed fourth in GS (Giant Slalom) races at both venues. It is a complete coincidence that I had similar results at both venues. For the most part I was racing against different women in each place because not all the Canadians attended US Nationals and not all the Americans went to Canadian Nationals.

Both races involved driving team vehicles in a caravan. I spent plenty of time to knitting to pass the time during the road trips. For both races we arrived the day before the race and did not get a chance to ski the terrain until our first race. To be honest, I prefer to ski the race run at least once in the days preceding the race especially when a number of my competitors have that advantage. It is ideal to be familiar with the terrain, snow conditions, and weather before the race. At least I had the benefit of having raced in both venues before. However, it had been at least a couple years since I'd been to Park City and the last time I went to Sun Peaks was four years ago. I didn't remember details of the terrain at either hill as well as I'd hoped I would. Photo of the Slalom podium at Sun Peaks with Nancy Greene

Both races were in late March and featured spring skiing conditions. Although both venues had to deal with melting snow, the snow conditions on the race track were surprisingly different between the two mountains. Park City was tricky because the conditions were not consistent. There was a mix of rock solid surface and slush. There was also a powder day with limited visibility resulting in the cancellation of a race. Sun Peaks on the other hand, had blue skies every day and an impressive track which was perfect in the mornings. For the most part, we raced in the morning, before the afternoon melt turned the snow to slush. We raced one run of GS in the afternoon. GS is usually a very technical event, but on that particular afternoon wax was very important due to the wet melting track. I felt my ski sticking to the snow which is not very fast.

The whirlwind of double nationals races was a great experience and I enjoyed both events.

^ Top

Airtime - March 9, 2013

Photo of me jumping on the airbag My schedule this season includes an unusually long period between races. There are seven whole weeks between the speed NorAm in Kimberley and the upcoming Nationals in Park City. I was a little bit nervous about staying and training for such a long period of time. I worried that it would get monotonous and boring. I thought that I might get stuck in a training rut without a change of scenery to launch me out of the rut. But I was wrong. It turns out that this long training block is flying by quickly. I am enjoying having a solid routine that doesn't include packing or travelling.

Despite my contentment with training, I was still happy to mix things up this week. We got the opportunity to try something completely different. As part of AVSC (Aspen Valley Ski & Snowboard Club), we have connections with the other branches of AVSC including the Freestyle/Freeride program. Many of these athletes practice their tricks on AVSC's airbag before trying them out on snow. The adaptive AVSC team was given the chance to try jumping on the airbag.

On Wednesday, after a full morning of GS training, we went over to the airbag for a few jumps. I've never done a jump like that before and it was incredible. You can get as much air as you want and barely feel the landing. It's softer than landing in a bouncy castle. But my favourite part was that moment when I was airborne and it just felt like I was on top of the world.

Wednesday's airbag session was such a success, that we were invited to jump again on Friday. This time, with Warren Miller's film crew on hand to catch the excitement on camera. They filmed us in gates and free-skiing as well as on the airbag. I was torn between training and jumping and wanted to do both. In the end I only got one jump on the airbag. But that's fine, because it was a good one. A couple of my teammates mastered back flips in their monoskis which was really cool.

It was exciting to try the airbag, and I'm grateful that I had the opportunity. I will now shift my focus to training since there are some races at the end of March. But I hope that we will have another chance to play on the airbag after all the races are finished.

^ Top

Home Away From Home - February 4, 2013

At the end of January I travelled from one home-away-from-home to another home-away-from-home. I went to Kimberly, BC to compete in the annual speed Nor Am. It was great to go back to a place that feels like home even though I hadn't been there for two years. I have a plethora of memories of Kimberly including the places I stayed, the adventures I had, and the friends I made. For better and for worse I've seen numerous life changing moments for myself and my teammates happen on this mountain. Although I didn't get to talk to everyone I hoped to see in the four days I was there, it is amazing how many familiar faces I saw.

Photo of the podium when I won the downhill race My comfort in Kimberley helped me ski my best. Plenty of coaches, officials, and athletes took the time to comment on how well I skied. It was certainly better than the skiing I'd done earlier in the season. While other athletes experienced fear (either consciously or subconsciously) and skied conservatively, I felt completely comfortable and my only thought was trying to figure out how to go faster. It paid off. I skied well and earned a gold medal in the second Downhill race. I also earned two silver medals; one in Downhill and one in Super G. Although I skied very well and had good results, I know that I was capable of more. I made a couple of mistakes that really cost me.

In the first Downhill race, I took a detour off course. I needed to get back on course but my ski was aimed at a gate. I knew there was the risk of hitting the gate and getting ejected out of my ski, but I didn't hesitate. I just tucked, stayed on a clean arc and hoped for the best. Luckily it worked out, I managed to get back on my line with my adrenaline pumping from the near miss. Although I am happy with finishing second despite a major error, I know that I would've been faster without the detour. The reality is that I knew where I needed to go and I should not have gotten off line.

My other major mistake was in the second Super G race. I fell and did not finish the race. I wish that I had video to watch what happened. I had made a very small mistake earlier in the course, but overall it felt like everything was going well. I felt like I had everything under control and I had good speed. But then my ski just slid out from under me and it was over. If I had video then I would know what went wrong. Maybe I didn't have good body position, or maybe I just pushed too far for the snow conditions. In the split second before I fell, I thought I had good body position, but maybe I misjudged. So it is a bit of a mystery and also a disappointment.

I had a great time in Kimberly and skied well. It was a great race and I had good results despite my mistakes. I will add another batch of memories to my Kimberly pile. I have left my BC home-away-from-home and returned to my Colorado home-away-from-home.

^ Top

Winter Park Open - January 6, 2013

Photo of me racing slalom We had our second set of races for the season at chilly Winter Park resort. Although it was a lot smaller than the Copper races, it turned out better than I expected. We had four races over three days. The three days went quickly. I still felt like I'd just arrived when it was time to start packing up and heading home again.

I admit that I was struggling to ski my best at this set of races. In fact, I always have difficulty with the terrain at Winter Park. It is a tough place to race, especially when I've never had the chance to train there. Like most racers, I always ski better when I am familiar with the terrain.

There are plenty of athletes who train at Winter Park full-time. I chose to train at Aspen instead of Winter Park. Although I do not regret that decision for a second, I don't know if I will ever excel at Winter Park races. Having said that, I did actually manage to win one of the races. Unfortunately I did not ski as well in the other three races and landed lower on the podium than I'd hoped.

Between the Copper and Winter Park Nor Ams, it seems like we've had a lot of races in a short period of time. I am excited to return to Aspen and focus on training for a few weeks. I think I need to take a step back and reinforce the basics so I can continue to improve. I want to arrive at the next set of races more ready than ever before.

^ Top